Saturday, July 10, 2010

How To Write Reference Letters

Fitlauf 75 '

the mid-70's flowed through Austria, the first state-prescribed fitness craze. TV and radio sounded, the newspapers wrote about the importance of sport and exercise. Even on the small, walled town of my childhood, Gmünd in the Lieser, clicked this wave. So it was that mother to us three brothers, Fred 12, Eddy 6 and 8 am, one Sunday out of the bed disturbed by the directive, would start today in the town of Fitlauf. And we would participate.
"Who we are?" Asked Fred sleepy.
"You and Karli. Eddy is probably too small. So pure in your workout clothes. "
" I'm "Not too small, Eddy protested, as we headed for the Lisa-closed bridge in the city. be
"We'll see," said Mother. "Why is there a flag?" Said Eddy, as we were passing on Statdschloss. "Today is" National Day, said mother and sucked on her cigarette.
"Where's Papa?" Asked Fred. "At the brunch," said mother. Stepfather was then, unfortunately, so you just have to call, though industrious, a chain-smoking alcoholic. He had no mother but getting them to that they also depended on the bottle, but he had moved them to smoke. In her youth, her passion was skiing and Toni Sailer was their hero. Now they moved only in the context of its unsatisfactory housewife existence. Our brothers but they held on to the sport. A crowd of people, some with starting numbers was slung together at the top gate. Tea was served, a man with a megaphone was addressed. The crowd, there were also children and elderly among them, seemed excited. Immediately jumped on that excitement for me. I braced internally. So far as I knew it would run a race and I had to give everything. "There are numbers from the start, we are" late, "said Mother. She paid the entry fee. I want also, "whined Eddy. "The boy also" asked the man doubtfully, while us when creating the Numbers was helpful. Mother shook her head. "But a starting number. I will, "a starting point, insisted Eddy. He got one. Meanwhile we had gone to the start. "Hurry up, like we go," said mother. I pushed my way between people, when I realized that I do not even know where the trip went! I wanted to go back. But the crowd was too dense. "I do not know where we go," I cried seized by panic. An older man said with a smile: "Just follow your nose. No, just walk to the people. Half way there is a folder. The stamp your card. "I'm not a card," I cried in horror. Somehow, Fred come near me. "No card? Shit for you. Your starting number was sitting wrong way. "I returned, the moment a shot tore the air. The crowd began to run with ... and I ran! I was shoved and pushed. "Hey, little place." "Look, that I do not crush, Runt." Aside. "I ran with the pack through the gate tower in the city, and the Malta bridge. I was shocked and electrified at the same time. This was not a simple operation. It was a struggle for survival. I had to pass him at all costs. The runners jostling me stirred up. Where would I show it! I would show it to everyone. I would deliver a bravura performance, as in the elementary school that I went through as a leader.
But this was more concrete. Troublesome. Horrible. I was half in a state of frenzy. I had boys, covered from head to toe, the agonistic instinct. The fermentation of the start and the wild charge ahead of the pack had turned me into a small fighting machine. Immediately after the bridge, the Malta-trampling moved to right field, lower in the suburbs. From there we went on the road and, at the New home over, the path along the banks of Malta, who wanted to take in the next few minutes, no end, and on which the box was longer and longer. My lungs began to sting, my temples pounding. Fred I do not see. He was way ahead of me. I passed by a serenade. The man behind it had seemed important.
"Hey, kid. You have to stamp, "he shouted after me now. ! »Otherwise your path is invalid"
I turned and said out of breath and stammered: "I ... h. .. h. .. have a map ..."
"Really? Well we have now, "he said, particularly the stamp pressed deep into the ink pad, took my head and pressed me the sign on the forehead. »Sun And running now. "So I did. The endless path along the banks came to an end, once again had to cross the road and then we went up the densely wooded castle Bichl, Gmündner the Way of the Cross River. First I passed the chapel. The Savior was there laid in the grave. He had behind him. Unlike me. My lungs were burning, my heart was racing. And no goal, no redemption in sight. To make matters worse, I had just past the Crucified One, I found myself still alone. "Well, little man is, you run out of steam? Take heart, there is no more "far-rang, a voice. I was shocked deeply. The Lord spoke to me! No, it was a gentleman of me, thanks to better power division, with springy steps obsolete. And as I pulled away! Panting and sweating, I passed a grievance station after another. I rolled on the crucifixion as it were from behind. While the Saviour was always healthier here He hung on the cross yet, there he carried the cross, where he carried it no longer, but this pretty crown of thorns, I felt progressively worse. Inexperience in Fitläufen I get carried away and I had started too fast. But it happened also a psychological factor. I found myself alone. Nowhere could have been competitors in sight, where I rub myself. No one saw my performance. Why struggle away at all? The man with the crown of thorns and his tormentors were not likely to motivate me. I needed a vivid clue. Something, so I knew ... and the Lord answered me. I caught a runner ahead. He was of immense wealth and the body can not be overlooked. I felt that he was slower than me. I wanted to approach him to suck me. I increased the pace and the old castle, before the long staircase that leads down to the city, I was on him. Everything about him was glowing in deep red: the fat neck, wrists, ears. The man was at the end. We reached the stairs. I wanted to slip past. The mass man instinctively looked to the side, I saw flashing beads of sweat in a gray mustache, and cut off my path! He would not leave! I was almost stumbled at that. "Hey, hey!" I cried. A grunt was the answer. Now it was time to be smart. I indicated next to a passing maneuver, the man also waved to the left and flight, I was right over. "Hey, little fellow," groaned the man does not seem a dangerous man to have behind me, my boy's legs once a forte. The end of the stage had been reached. Now it was off to the right. Through the dark pit of the upper city gate I saw the shape of a horseshoe, surrounded by people target range. The last meters. The audience seemed to be waiting for me to wonder who would spit out the dim Tor now. Something was moving in me like a flash and I increased my pace again. I sprinted as if the devil behind me. I was out of the gate and by the purpose ... received from an immoderate laughter. The hands on his knees, gasping, looking I have to. The laughter was meant for me. There was no doubt. Red faces, fingers pointed at me, sneering mouths gaping. Where's mother? Where were Fred and Eddy? There they stood. Fred pointed at me and laughed very loudly. Mother grinned - but embarrassed. She made some steps toward me and said, "You lose your pants yes" Then she laughed too!. It was bewitched. "Wait," she says, a finger moistened with saliva. At the same time she took a corner of her blouse. The finger was aimed at my forehead. I recoiled in disgust. "You would not have it but the stamp," she said. The stamp, shot me! I was a marked man. I bore the mark of Cain that accursed Fitlaufes on the forehead! See my baggy clothes and, as I now realized, twisted and unrecognizable starting number. I was the laugh of the day! The thing I would be terribly embarrassing when an outcry went through the crowd. I turned around. The fat had appeared in goal. He did not go, he staggered like a wounded elephant. The goal within reach, he went to his knees and fell down the side. Helping surrounded him. Even my mother, Eddy and Fred ran to the scene. I stayed where I was, but with piercing lungs, but glad that the crowd has moved the focus rested.
Fred came back: "Only a brief unconsciousness, he said, almost disappointed. The award ceremony was the second, Argentina Damper. The trophies were all to others. Fred got certificate and badge. I got certificate and plaque, and even Eddy got a plaque, although he had not run there. I did not understand the world anymore. Mother stayed in the city, to drink coffee with a friend. We got a pack of three per sport rubber as a reward, even Eddy ... and he was not run there! We should quickly go home and bathe us, they said. On the bridge Malta Fred had his aufgefuttert Drops already. "Show time," he said, and grabbed my pack. Before I could protest, he reached into it with the full hand and the sports rubber stuffed in his mouth like hay! Spiteful grin he gave me back the package. It was empty.

Fin

0 comments:

Post a Comment